1. Bring 2 cups water and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil to a boil in a covered medium saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in couscous. Cover pan; let stand until the meatballs are ready to serve. Just before serving, fluff the couscous lightly with a fork.
2. If the meatballs are frozen, transfer to a microwave-safe plate and microwave, uncovered, on high power for 2 minutes to thaw partially.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat in a 12-inch skillet or a 4 1/2-quart soup pot. Peel and coarsely chop the onions, adding them to the skillet as you chop. Cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and their juice. Add garlic and sugar.
5. Seed and finely chop the jalapeno (if desired, protect your hands with gloves or a thin coat of vegetable oil). Add jalapeno to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, while you rinse and chop the cilantro and parsley (if using). Add them to the skillet. Add cumin, cinnamon, ginger and meatballs. Cover the skillet; cook until meatballs are heated through and are beginning to absorb the sauce, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately over hot couscous.